Skip to main content


The below Frequently Asked Questions are related to services provided in the community and or by Rhondda Cynon Taf Council.

If you would like information on healthcare services in Cwm Taf Morgannwg please click here.

I am new arrival to Cwm Taf Morgannwg, what should I do?

A Wellbeing Assesser from the Council will be in contact to discuss visiting you at your property to check it is suitable, in line with guidance from the UK Government and ensure that you have everything that you need.

Your host will let the council officers know that you have arrived and a wellbeing assessor will call to visit you at your new home to ensure that you are safe and well. You are entitled to receive an arrival payment of £200 as an emergency income for any essentials that you need. RCT Council will process this after the wellbeing assesment visit within 48/72 hours (working) of your arrival. This will be paid to you via a pre-paid card via post.

If you urgently need to discuss any issues please contact​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​

Where can I get help for my child in Cwm Taf Morgannwg?

Information about where to find help for your child in Rhondda Cynon Taf can be found on these pages.

If you would like help in relation to enrolling your child in school, information is available on these pages.

My child needs to get to school but I don’t have transport, what support is available? 

Information on home to school transport and eligibility can be found on these pages.

Refugees from Ukraine can now travel for free on rail services across Wales.

The six-month scheme, for all Transport for Wales rail services, is to help refugees while they are settling in.

Ukrainian nationals will need to show their passport to conductors and station staff to claim free travel.

I am struggling financially, where can I go for help?

You are entitled to receive an arrival payment of £200 as an emergency income for any essentials that you need. RCT Council will pay you directly in cash within 48/ 72 hours of your arrival, during a Post-Arrival visit.​​

Information on the welfare support that is available can be found on these pages.

If you need further advice please email

I need help finding work?

All those from Ukraine coming to the country under the scheme will be able to seek and take up employment.

Working Wales, are able to support you through these changing times with free advice, guidance and access to training to help you get into work or further your career. More information is available on their website.

Resident Support page

Here are the links for Jobcentres in Rhondda Cynon Taf:

Aberdare -

Pontypridd -

Tonypandy -

More job centre locations can be found here -

More information can also be found on the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) website

When you find a job with a UK employer you’ll need to prove your right to work.

Can I drive in Cwm Taf Morgannwg?

You can use your Ukrainian driving licence for the first 12 months after you arrive. You’ll then need to exchange it for a British licence.

Check what requirements your vehicle needs to meet in the UK.

I need translation and interpretation support, will this be available?

We're committed to enhancing access to our services for our diverse population through professional interpretation and cross-cultural communication. That includes ensuring that an interpreter is provided whenever the need exists.

Our interpretation services support people whose use of the English language may not be proficient enough to easily access our Services, wish to use the Welsh language or another language of choice, or who have hearing and/or visual impairments.

There are several ways to access interpretation services;  they can be provided face-to-face, over the phone or via other means like videoconference.   

Please let us know of any support you need.  

I have unanswered questions, where can I go for help?

If you need further advice email