Skip to main content

Home improvement renovation grants

Renovation grants are only available in exceptional circumstances. To meet the criteria, your property would have to be deemed a danger to the health, safety and welfare of the occupant or the public.         

Who is eligible?                

Applications will only be considered from owners who have owned and lived in the property for a minimum period of five years.                

Exceptional Circumstances                

The Council recognises that occasionally, circumstances will arise where, in the interest of public health, safety and welfare, it is necessary to respond to an application, despite the fact the property is not included in a renewal area or does not feature in the Council’s strategic investment projects.                

Consequently in circumstances where:                

  • the health and safety of the occupier, the occupier of the neighbouring property or the general public is at risk, or                  
  • delay in dealing with the defect may lead to significant deterioration in the fabric of the building e.g. structural collapse,                  

The Council will, on the recommendation of the Public Health and Protection Section, consider approving assistance to remedy the defect if renovation is the most satisfactory course of action.                

Guidelines for eligibility will include:                

  •  An Environmental Health Officer will inspect all applications for Renovation grants.                  
  • In determining eligibility the Environmental Health Officer will give regard to the minimum works required to deal with the danger, whilst having regard for the wider impact of the property condition on the person/s living at the property.                  
  • Empty properties will not be eligible for Renovation Grant Assistance.                  
  • Assistance to address structural defects, together with associated works, will be considered up to the maximum values for Intermediate & Full Renovation grants as referred to in renovation assistance.                  
  • A property, or neighbouring property, subject to a serious out break of dry rot that is active and progressive and will have a serious effect on the structural integrity of the property, will attract grant assistance.                  
  • No assistance will be considered for works outside of the property including the rebuilding of retaining walls                  

What works are included?                

General repairs required to remedy defects that are affecting the occupant’s ability to live comfortably at the property. Works could include provision of bathroom facilities, damp proof course, concrete floors, re-plastering, rewiring and plumbing repairs.                

What is the maximum grant available?                

The maximum grant available for Intermediate Renovation Grant Assistance is £15,000 plus ancillary fees.                

The maximum grant available for Full Renovation Grant Assistance is £35,000 plus ancillary fees.                

How much will you pay?                

The grant award is subject to a means test calculation. The means test will determine how much you will have to pay towards the necessary works.                

You would also be required to pay for any additional costs above the maximum limit; an example would be if the estimated costs were £40,000, your excess contribution would be £5,000.                

What conditions are there?                

Before the grant approval you will be required to agree to a Land Registry charge being placed upon the property for a period of 5 years from the date of the completion of works.                

Once you have received an approval from the Council you will be required to complete the work within twelve months. If you have not completed the work within the allocated time period your grant will be cancelled.                

You will be required to live at the property for a period of five years following completion of the grant works. The council would require repayment of the grant if you were to sell the house during the five-year post grant period.                

Contact Us        

Housing Grants

3rd Floor,

Sardis House,

Sardis Road,


CF37 1DU

Tel: 01443 281118