Social Care and Social Work at Rhondda Cynon Taf Council

Now has never been a better time to consider a role in Social Care. Services are looking to the future and developing following the Pandemic, when we continued to provide excellent services.

Providing support to others by working in social care can make a really positive difference to many people’s lives. If you wish to pursue a career in social work or care, there are many opportunities here at Rhondda Cynon Taf Council (RCT). From working as a care assistant in one of our residential care homes to working as a social worker, or leading and developing services, you’ll be able to provide support for a specific group of people who will benefit from your experience, knowledge and skills, this might be with adults of any age, or children and their families.

What’s it Like Working in Social Care?

You can expect a rewarding career; no two days will be the same as you focus on helping individuals and your community as a whole. You can work in a variety of settings including care homes, people’s homes, community centres, homeless shelters and so much more. You’ll have the opportunity to build relationships with service users and their families and work towards achieving the changes that matter to them. You will always be working alongside a network of other professionals such as Health professionals, Substance Misuse Specialists, and Therapists, Teachers, Police and Carers.

We aim to look after you as an individual too, there is a strong and supportive network at Rhondda Cynon Taf Council where you can expect excellent supervision to ensure you feel valued, well equipped, part of a team and comfortable in your role.

Job Roles in Social Care with Rhondda Cynon Taf Council

At Rhondda Cynon Taf Council, we offer a very broad range of jobs within social care. Some jobs require certain qualifications and experience, others will draw on your individual values and motivation to offer people the best care and support. We will provide you with a comprehensive range of training so you can get paid and learn at the same time.

Here are some examples of jobs within social care.

  • Regulated Professional Roles (Social Worker, Occupational Therapist)

As a regulated professional, you will require registration with a regulated body. You will need a relevant qualification to apply for these roles.

  • Direct care roles (Activities Worker, Care Worker, Rehabilitation Worker etc..)
  • Management roles (Team Leader or Supervisor, Manager)
  • Ancillary roles (Cook or Kitchen Assistant, Housekeeper, Driver)

Take a look at our staff stories from Adult Services and Children’s Services

Why Social Care with Rhondda Cynon Taf Council?

At Rhondda Cynon Taf Council, we have numerous opportunities for you to develop your career in social care.

Did you know that you can begin your career in social care with no formal qualifications, because at Rhondda Cynon Taf you can earn while you learn. We offer:

  • A comprehensive induction that will give you the confidence to undertake your role
  • A variety of Health and Safety courses that meet the All Wales Passport standards
  • An extensive menu of ongoing training that will assist you when continuing your professional development and developing your career within RCT
  • Opportunities to access qualifications that are a requirement for some roles and will lead to you being able to join the Social Care Wales register
  • Opportunities that support specialist needs for example: dementia, learning disability, mental health.
  • Help to register with Social Care Wales and have your fees paid.
  • Support to meet your career needs as an Individual.
  • An Occupational Health Unit offering a range of health services such as physiotherapy, confidential counselling and general health initiatives such as the flu jab, mental health support and more.
Plus, there are lots of other benefits working for RCT Council

Internal Sponsorship and Development Opportunities for Social Workers:

We strongly believe in ‘growing our own’ social workers.  We offer a highly attractive and competitive social work qualification sponsorship programme, which is available to our internal staff. Relevant experience is needed, together with line manager approval and applicants have to meet the university entry requirements in order to be considered.

We also offer arrangements that will support qualified social workers in their professional development:

  • A comprehensive ‘First Year in Practice’ programme that supports newly qualified social workers
  • Upon successful completion of your First Year in Practice, you will be enrolled onto our mandatory consolidation programme
  • There are a range of sponsored post qualifying programmes available for Continuous Professional Education and Leaning (CPEL), such as: Enabling Practice/Supervising Social Work Students; Approved Mental Health Practitioner (AMHP); the CPEL programme is also under further development and will offer further opportunities in due course
  • For experienced social workers looking to progress to management, there are opportunities to enrol on the Team Manager Development Programme
  • Workers in specialist roles have tailored Continuous Professional Development opportunities available to them in order to enhance current knowledge and develop further.

All of our courses are certificated enabling you to gain qualifications and achieve professional development.

To find out more about the social care sector please also see WeCare Wales

RCT Children's Services

View our Values and Purpose, as well details of the teams that make up RCT Children's Services.

Children's Services

Working Within Adult Social Care at RCT Council

We have range of full, part-time, and casual positions across a variety of job roles open to you.

Find out more