From 2nd November 2020, previous guidance which permitted blue badge holders to continue to use passes which expired after March 2020 will no longer apply.
A Blue Badge parking permit is designed to help people with walking difficulties, cognitive impairment or other mobility problems to travel independently, as a driver or as a passenger.
The Blue Badge scheme allows people who meet the eligibility criteria to park, when displaying their blue badge, where restrictions for other motorists may otherwise apply. The scheme plays an important role in helping people with mobility problems to overcome some of the barriers they face when accessing jobs, shops and other important services.
In Wales, there is no charge for individual applications, although a charge of £10 can be made for organisational and replacement badges.
Applicants will automatically qualify for a Blue Badge by meeting any of the following criteria:
- Applicants who can evidence they are in receipt of the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- Applicants who can evidence that they are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) that includes 8 points for ‘Moving Around’ or 12 points for ‘Planning a Journey’
- Applicants who are blind (severely sight impaired) and can produce a signed Certificate of Vision Impairment
- Applicants who can evidence that they are in receipt of the War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- Applicants who can evidence they are in receipt of a qualifying award under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (compensation) Scheme
- Applicants who are considered to have a permanent mental disorder and have been awarded tariff level 6 within the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (compensation) Scheme
If an applicant does not meet any of the automatic qualifying criteria, they can still apply for a Blue Badge parking permit if any of the following can be evidenced:
- Permanent and substantial walking difficulties
- A temporary walking difficulty that is expected to last for a minimum of 12 months (blue badge will be issued for 12 months)
- A cognitive impairment that affects a person’s ability to plan and follow a journey, to such an extent that constant supervision is required
- Impairment in both arms, regularly drive a car and have difficulty using parking meters, or similar equipment
- They are applying on behalf of a child under the age of 3 years old who is accompanied by bulky medical equipment at all times, or requires immediate access to a motor vehicle in the event of emergency treatment being required
How do I apply?
Download and complete the PDF application form.
If you are unable to print off the application form you may request one by contacting Rhondda Cynon Taf’s Contact Centre on 01443 425005.
Book an appointment online at your preferred One4All Centre to submit your application. Appointments can also be booked via telephone on 01443 425005. Please note, the applicant does not need to attend the appointment, as long as all the information that is required to accompany the application can be provided in their absence.
Ensure you have gathered the following supporting evidence to take along to your appointment:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Passport style photo, no more than 6 months old (alternatively, staff at the One4All Centre’s can take your photograph for you during your appointment)
- Evidence of your entitlement to a Disabled Parking Badge
Please ensure you read the guidance notes
before completing and submitting your application.
You can also apply for a Disabled Parking Badge online directly at www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge.
Book a Blue Badge appointment online
All completed applications and supported documentation must be taken to one of our application appointments that is available to book online. Someone may attend on your behalf with the completed application and supporting documents.
If you would like an application pack sent out or if you think you or someone you care for needs help, please contact us on:
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.