You are not required to have a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol. Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a designated premises supervisor, who holds a personal licence.  Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder. 

Apply for a Personal Licence

To apply for a personal licence, applicants must complete the application form. Applications are available online via GOV.UK or alternatively contact us and request an applications via or 01443 425001..

A valid application will require - :

  • the completed application form
  • 2-colour passport type photographs taken within the last month (Endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification).
  • an accredited personal licence qualification
  • a basic criminal record check, (Disclosure & Barring Service) this must be less than a month old from the date of issue.
  • the required fee of £37.00

The Secretary of State has accredited 3 personal licence qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003. They are

  • BIIAB Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA. Accreditation Number 100/4866/2
  • GOAL Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA. Accreditation Number 100/4865/0
  • GQAL Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, QCA. Accreditation Number 100/5040/1

Further information on these qualifications are available on the following contact details - BIIAB 01276 684449, GOAL 08707 202909, GQAL 01305 786639.

  • Basic Disclosure Cerificate - You can apply for the certificate via any Responsible Organisation with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to submit basic checks through the web service.

A list of Responsible Organisations providing a basic check services through the DBS can be found at

Before a licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Licensing Authority that they:

  • are over 18 years old
  • have not forfeited a personal licence in the previous five years beginning with the day the application was made
  • have not been convicted of any relevant offence, or foreign offence as defined in the Act

The Licensing Authority will liaise closely with the Police when an applicant is found to have an unspent conviction for a relevant offence as defined in the Licensing Act 2003. Where an applicant for a personal licence has an unspent criminal conviction for a relevant offence, the Police and Licensing Authority may wish to interview the applicant should the Police be minded to object to the grant of the licence.

Personal Licences no longer have an expiry date, however you will need to notify the Licensing Authority should you change your name or address.

You can notify us of your new details via:

Telephone: 01443 425001

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.