Skip to main content

Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Driver Licence

A licence is required before any person can drive a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle. Rhondda Cynon Taf Licensing Authority does not issue separate licenses for hackney carriage/private hire drivers, we only issue a joint licence.

PLEASE NOTE: As of 1st September 2017  Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council will be requiring all new applicants applying for a Joint Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licence to sit a knowledge test, for further information please contact us on 01443 425001 or email us at 

If you are a new applicant please book your knowledge and numeracy test

Details of the requirements to hold a licence can be viewed by clicking on the online application form below. Once you have completed your application for a new licence or a renewal, you must attend Ty Elai Council Office in person where an officer will check the documents and progress your application. You must bring with you all original documentation, if you fail to do so the appointment cannot proceed. The form will allow you to select your chosen date and time once you have entered all the required information.

On completion of your booking, please prepare the following documents, all appointments must be made for attendance at Ty Elai offices so that a licensing officer can validate your original documents and complete the DBS process.

  • Your DVLA Driving Licence photocard (original - not a photocopy) showing your current address
  • Your passport/birth certificate/ marriage certificate/work permit
  • Details of your National Insurance Number
  • 2 colour passport type photographs taken within the last month
  • The required fee:
Upon production of the above, you will be asked to complete a Disclosure & Barring Service check and DVLA for any records held against you. Please be aware that we normally allow up to 4 weeks from receipt of your application (approximately) for return of these checks, as this is the average time that they take.

Before you are issued with a licence you must also provide us with a current medical certificate if:

  • You are a new applicant
  • You are aged 45-65, in which case a  medical form is required every 5 years
  • You are aged 65+, which requires you to produce a medical form on a yearly basis

If you are a new applicant, we will provide you with a copy of the medical form on request. If you are due to renew and require an up-to-date medical, you should receive the form in the post as part of your reminder letter.

You may wait until the necessary checks have been returned to us before completing the form. It is worth noting that, should you decide to withdraw your application or be refused a licence for whatever reason, the fee paid by you to your GP is non-refundable. It is entirely up to you to decide at which point during the application process that you have the medical.

Licensing Committee 

It is possible that your application could be referred to the Council's Licensing Committee for determination. Further advice in respect of the above can be obtained from Licensing Officers.


Licensing Team

Ty Elai,
Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301