Welsh Government Fuel Support Scheme
How we use your personal information for the WG Fuel Support Scheme purposes
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals, we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this Privacy Notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for the Fuel Support Schemes purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s Corporate Privacy Notice and the Council Tax Privacy Notices.
1. Who we are, what we do?
The Council, on behalf of the Welsh Government, will be administering the Fuel Support Scheme . The scheme is intended to provide immediate support as Wales recovers from the pandemic and support households to deal with the impact of increasing energy and other costs. The Council will be issuing payments and processing registrations in line with the scheme requirements.
Please see the following link for more details on who will be entitled to these payments.
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
The information we hold and process for those entitled to the payments and the people living with them will typically include:
- personal contact details - such as name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address
- council tax details
- benefit details
- bank details
3. Where does the service get my information from?
We will get this information from:
- council tax records already held by us
- benefit records already held by us
- benefit records held by the Department of Work and Penions
- you, if you submit a registration form, or through correspondence with us
- a member of your family/ household/ property, where they include your details on a registration form
4. What will we do with your personal information?
We will use your information to:
- check if you are entitled to a payment under the scheme(s), against the requirements outlined above, including identifying and detecting fraud
- carry out relevant checks to prevent you, or those living with you from receiving duplicate payments
- verify your identity
- automatically process the payment where you are a Council Tax direct debit payer and you are entitled under the scheme(s)
- automatically process the payment where you have previously supplied the Council with your bank details for other WG support schemes, such as the Cost of Living Scheme
- send a letter to you inviting you to register, if we think you are entitled to any of the payments
- process the payment, where you are entitled
- confirm when payment is being made/has been made
- contact you about your registration, where we have any queries
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
The Council will be processing your information in line with our public task duties and to administer the schemes on behalf of Welsh Government.
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
To confirm information provided to us and to check your eligibility for the scheme/s, information will be shared between Council Services, such as Council Tax and Benefits
Where false, inaccurate, or misleading information is intentionally supplied to us, it may be subject to prosecution action and in such circumstances, we would need to share your information with appropriate authorities for proceedings.
We share anonymous statistical information with Welsh Government, which will not identify you.
7. How long will my information be kept?
Records relating to these schemes will be kept for 2 years.
8. Your information, your rights
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.
Click here for further information on your information rights and how to exercise them.
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information, please contact us in one of the following ways:
By email: FuelSupport@rctcbc.gov.uk
By telephone: 01443 425002
In writing: Oldway House, Porth, Rhondda, CF39 9ST