Skip to main content

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards purposes

How we use your personal information for Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards purposes.

The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.

We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we may use your personal information for Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.

1.    Who we are, what we do.

Rhondda Cynon Taf is a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Supervisory Body, which is responsible for ensuring that the human rights of adults who lack mental capacity to make decisions about where they live and how they receive their care and support  and who live or will live in registered care homes are protected in accordance with the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

We do this by undertaking  assessments that are required by law as set out in the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards to decide whether the Council in its Supervisory Body role should issue a Standard Authorisation. The Standard Authorisation provide lawful authority for the care home to look after people even when they are not able to consent to their care arrangements. 

2.    What and whose personal information do we hold?

The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Team holds information about past and present Service Users who we have assessed.

The information we need in order to undertake an assessment includes:

The individual / service user

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Health information
  • Information documented on the care plan
  • Financial information
  • Race
  • Ethnic Origin
  • Religious Beliefs
  • Sexual Orientation

Service Users’ Family

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact details
  • Any views expressed by family and/or friends about the service user’s best interests

The professionals involved with the service user

  • Care home Manager details, e.g. name, telephone number, email address
  • Social Worker
  • Medical practitioners
  • Nurses
  • Advocates

Please note – any Professionals working with a Service User do not have the right to remain anonymous.

3.    Where does the service get my information from?

We mainly receive information about a Service User from the Care Home where they are living. We may also gather information from other sources as part of undertaking an assessment, for example family members, medical professionals, Social Worker. 

4.    What we will do with your personal information?

 As the Supervisory Body, we will use this information to:

  • Undertake assessments to establish whether the arrangements put in place by the Care Home are appropriate and in the Service User’s best interest in accordance with the Service User’s human rights.
  • Provide the Care Home with official Authorisation to confirm that the arrangements put in place for the Service User are appropriate, or

5.    What is the legal basis for the use of this information?

Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.

Our lawful basis for processing personal information as Cwm Taf Safeguarding Board in order to meet the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is as follows:

Personal Information:

Article 6 1.(c),(e) - to fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the:

  • The Mental Capacity  Act 2005.

Special Category Information (i.e. information about a person’s race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics, health, sex life or orientation):

 Article 9 2.(g)  - to fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the:

  • The Mental Capacity Act 2005.

6.    Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?

We will only share your personal information where it is deemed necessary and beneficial to protect a vulnerable person. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Health and Social Care Services, which could be Council services, as well as external services, for example Social Worker, Doctor, Nurse, Care Home Manager.
  • Third Sector Agencies, e.g professional advocacy services

We also record all of our data on our Case management system called the Welsh Community Care Information System (WCCIS).

 7.  How long will you keep my information for?

For administrative reasons records relating to Adults are kept for a minimum of 7 years after their involvement with any social care service has ended.  Records about a person’s health needs are kept for a minimum of 10 years from the date their involvement with any social care service ended.

8.    What are my rights in relation to the information you hold about me?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.

 View further details on your information rights and how to exercise them. 

 9.  Contact us

If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:

By email:

By telephone: 01443 425410

In writing:


Ty Elai

Dinas Isaf East


Tonypandy CF40 1NY