How we use your personal information for Youth Engagement and Participation Service purposes
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for the Youth Engagement and Participation Service purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.
1. Who we are, what we do.
The Council has a statutory duty to provide youth services for 11 – 25 year olds as prescribed in section 123 of the Learning and Skills Act (2000). This Act is in force in Wales under the Youth Support Services Direction (Wales) 2002 which directs local authorities in Wales to:
- Provide youth support services;
- Secure the provision of youth support services, or
- Participate in the provision of youth support services, having regard to guidance issued by the National Assembly.
The Youth Engagement and Participation Service supports young people aged 11-25 years to reach their potential and overcome barriers to learning and progression. The service holds certain information about you which we use to plan service delivery meeting the needs of young people in RCT.
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
We hold information about young people aged 11-25 years, past and present engagement with the service.
The types of information we hold and process will ypically include:
- Contact details, including name, address and telephone numbers
- Identifying details, including date of birth
We also collect information on NEETs data (Not In Education, Employment or Training) and safeguarding and wellbeing.
3. Where does the service get my information from?
We hold information past and present on young people aged 11-25 years who have been referred to the Service.
The above information could be provided by:
- Young people directly
- Social Services
- Resilient Families Service
- Careers Wales
Following referral, the service generates its own internal information, as part of our involvement with the young person e.g. progress reports, communication logs, assessments and reviews.
4. What we will do with your personal information?
We will use this personal information for the following:
- Identify the relevant support required for the young person
- Inform allocation of case worker and appropriate delivery interventions
- To ensure the safeguarding and wellbeing of young people
- Provide information to relevant panels to ensure the most appropriate provision is provided to support the young person
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
The legal basis for our use of your personal information will generally be one or more of the following:
- To satisfy our legal obligations under:
- Learning and Skills Act (2000)
- Youth Support Services Direction (Wales) 2002
- The Education and Inspections Act 2006;
- The Children and Young Person’s Act 1963;
- The Social Services and Wellbeing Act (Wales) 2014
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
If appropriate, personal information for young people aged, 16-24 years will be shared with the following internal departments and service providers, in order that they can help us carry out our duties in relation to Youth Engagement and Participation. These may include:
Internal Council Services such as:
- Resilient Families Service
- Education and Lifelong Learning
- Community & Children’s Services
Trusted organisations and training providers such as:
- RCT Schools
- Careers Wales
- Coleg y Cymoedd
- ITEC Training Solutions Ltd
- Tydfil Training
- ACT Training
The service has entered into Information Service Protocols with some of the above partners to ensure the appropriate sharing of personal data. For further information see the following:
ISP for RCT Supporting Education, Employment and Training (Post 16 partners)
ISP for Supporting Engagement in Education, Employment and Training (Careers Wales)
In circumstances of the wellbeing and safeguarding of a young person, it may be necessary to share information without your consent or knowledge.
7. How long will my information be kept?
We will keep your personal information for 7 years for administration purposes and to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive about this, unless the law requires us to keep it for a longer period.
8. Your information, your rights
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:
By email : firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone : 01443 281436
In writing : RCT, Youth Engagement and Participation Service, Ty Trevithick, Abercynon, CF15 7HX
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.