How we use your personal information for Mortgages & Loans purposes
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for mortgages and loans purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.
1. Who we are, what we do.
As a Council, in the past we have provided loans to individuals to help them purchase homes or make improvements to their homes and we continue to receive income against these loans under the terms of the legal agreements that are in place. We hold certain information about you, which we use to collect and recover loan payments. This includes the need to process your information to contact you, to collect payments and recover any overdue debts from you. Further information about how we use your personal data is provided below.
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
We hold information about past and present customers who have been provided with loans by the Council.
The types of information we hold and process will typically include:
- Contact details, including name, address, telephone numbers and email address.
- Financial details such as bank account number if you pay by Direct Debit.
3. Where does the service get my information from?
- Information provided directly by you the data subject e.g. on making your application
- Information provided by members of the public e.g. complaint or concern
- Information generated by the service
- Information from other Council Services – such as, Legal
4. What we will do with your personal information?
We will use this personal information to administer and recover loan payments.
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
The legal basis for our use of your personal information will generally be one or more of the following:
a) we need to process your personal information to satisfy our legal obligations as the Authority responsible for the signed legal agreement
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
From time to time, we will share your personal information with advisers and service providers so that they can help us carry out our duties, rights and discretions in relation to mortgages and loans. These may include:
Other Council departments:
- Insurance – in order to arrange building insurance and process any claims made.
- Legal – for the purposes of holding title deeds, liaising with solicitors during the course of loan redemptions and placing a charge on a property via the Land Registry
Payment processing providers:
- Banking Automated Clearing Service (BACS) – to administer direct debit instructions and payments
- Tracing Bureau – to recover unpaid loans
- Solicitors – to provide specialist legal advice to recover unpaid loans
- HMCS – to recover unpaid loans via the court
- Pensions Service – in order for interest payments to be met
Trusted third party suppliers and organisations who provide services on our behalf:
- Software provider – (currently ACS) to maintain our IT system
- Enforcement Agents – to recover unpaid Loans.
In each case, we will only do this to the extent that we consider the information is reasonably required for these purposes.
7. How long will my information be kept?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as the loan remains undischarged to administer the loan and to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive about this, unless the law requires us to keep it for a longer period.
8. Your information, your rights
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:
By email : email@example.com
By telephone : 01443 680521
In writing : Financial Services Division, Ty Bronwydd, Porth, CF39 9DL
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.