Skip to main content

Paying for Residential and Nursing Care

Some of the services provided by Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council are free – such as information, advice and assessments regarding what help you and your carer may need.

Following an assessment of your needs, if it is established that you do need to move into a residential or nursing home, then we have to work out how much you can afford to pay. Depending on your circumstances, you may have to pay the full cost of your care yourself or Social Services may agree to pay part of the costs.

Who pays what?

We will work out your contribution by undertaking a financial assessment, which will enable us to calculate how much you are able to contribute towards the cost of your care in a home.  The purpose of the financial assessment is to make sure that you are not asked to pay more than you can reasonably afford. 

In the following circumstances, you would have to pay the full cost of your care charges and you would not receive any financial assistance from Social Services:

  • If you have over a certain amount of capital (for example, savings), you will have to pay the full cost of your care home charges, regardless of how much or how little income you have. This level of capital is set each year by the Welsh Government and is known as the ‘Self funding threshold’.
  • If your income exceeds the costs of your care home charge, you will have to pay the full cost of your accommodation.

If you do not have savings over the threshold, or your weekly income does not cover the cost of your care, then the financial assessment will determine how much you can contribute towards the cost of care home charges.

We may be able to help with some of the costs, as long as we agree that residential or nursing home care is the best option for you.  If we don’t agree, we cannot help with your move into a care home.  We may, however, be able to help you continue to live in the community with support that we can arrange, such as home care and home delivered meals.  More details are available from our staff or within our help to live at home web pages.

In addition to our support, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may be able to offer financial help.  You can get further information from them and other organisations that are listed under related paged on the right of this page or from an independent financial advisor of your choice at your own expense.

If you qualify for NHS funded nursing care, then the NHS will also make a contribution. Anyone assessed as having a certain level of care need may receive Continuing NHS funded Health Care. It is not dependent on a particular disease, diagnosis or condition, or on who provides the care or where that care is provided. If your overall care needs show that your primary care need is a health need, you may be eligible for CHC. Once eligible for CHC, your care will be funded by the NHS but this is subject to review and should your care needs change the funding arrangements may also change.

If you think you or someone you care for needs help, contact:

First Response Team 
Telephone 01443 425003