Rhondda Cynon Taf Council will no longer be collecting Clinical Waste collections with effect from December 1, 2017. These collections will be transferring to Cwm Taf University Health Board.
What is Clinical Waste?
- Medical sharps - (needles, syringes or other sharp instruments) - stored in yellow sharps bins
- Hazardous clinical waste - (dressings or bandages contaminated with blood and dialysis waste) - stored in orange clinical waste bags
Incontinence pads and stoma, catheter/colostomy waste does not fall under Clinical Waste collection - this waste can be disposed of in your domestic black bag, collected fortnightly by the Council.
However in cases where patients feel it is not manageable to include this waste in the black bag collections, there will be the following options;
- You can sign up for the weekly Incontinence Recycling Scheme. Here you can arrange collections through the Council’s Incontinence service.
- Waste will be collected in a purple bag.
Stoma, catheter/colostomy waste
- You can contact the Health Board who will arrange collections.
- This can be arranged through the Facilities Help Desk at Cwm Taf University Health Board, by calling on 01685 728688.
- Waste will be collected in a yellow/black stripe bag – commonly known as a ‘tiger bag’
Items we DO NOT collect
- Unwanted tablets, pharmaceuticals and asthma inhalers
These items are to be returned to your local pharmacist.
View further details of the NHS Clinical Waste Collection Process
How can you arrange for clinical waste to be collected?
If you require a clinical waste collection please contact the Facilities Help Desk at Cwm Taf University Health Board on 01685 728688 - Option 2 to book your collection.
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.