Skip to main content

Who can I talk to about support with my Education?


Here is a list of some of the different people you can talk to about your education;

  • Your parents
  • School Staff – Your teacher Designated LAC Teacher, Head of Year
  • Education  Co-ordinator
  • Your Social Worker
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Foster Carers
  • Advocate
  • IRO

Education Maintenance Allowance

If you decide to stay on in school or go to college after you are 16 years old you could get up to £30 weekly allowance to help you with your studies. The money is paid every two weeks directly into your bank account. If you want to find out more about getting EMA you can visit

Going to University

If you have taken the plunge and have decided you would like to go to University, there are lots of different types of support available for you to access.

Grants and loans

Firstly, you should be able to access a range of grants and loans and additional help through Student Finance Wales depending on your circumstances.

To find out more information visit

Student fees and accomodation costs

Rhondda Cynon Taf may be able to pay for your student fees and accommodation to reduce the money pressures of going to university. If you would like more information on what support is available if you want to stay in education, please speak to your social worker.


You could also receive the Higher Education Bursary if you go to University. This is a sum of money that can be spent on things you may need to help you with your studies.

Lots of universities with the ‘Quality Mark’ will also offer a Care Leavers Bursary on top of this. To find out if a University has the Quality Mark, you can ask the designated University staff member when you are applying or visit