Skip to main content
While you are in care, Rhondda Cynon Taf Council act as a responsible parent and they want to make sure you are well and as healthy as you can be.  

To do this, you should have a health check shortly after coming in to care with a doctor or nurse. The nurse or doctor will then see you once a year whilst you are in care (If are under 5 years old, you will see someone twice a year). 

The doctor or nurse you see is specially trained in working with looked after children and will be able to help you with any health issues or concerns you may have. They will also be able to discuss with you things you can do that will improve your health and well being. 

What happens when I see the Doctor or Nurse?

The health assessment is all about you and how you are doing.  Some of the assessment will be about your physical health (things happening with your body) and also your emotional health (if you have any worries or concerns). The doctor or nurse wants to make sure you are growing properly and will check your height and weight if you wish.  They will discuss with you any health conditions you may have and ensure you are having the right treatment.  The health assessment is a good opportunity to talk about how to become healthier and feel better.  You will have an opportunity to see the doctor or nurse on your own if you want to.

What about my teeth?

Good dental care is very important to your overall health. When you come in to care you will need to get your teeth checked by a dentist.  You will need to visit the dentist every six months to ensure your teeth and gums stay healthy. If you are nervous about the dentist let your carer, social worker or nurse know so that they can help you.

What about my eyes?

You need to go to the opticians at least once a year. They will check everything is ok with your eyes and glasses if you have them.

What is a Health ACTION Plan?

Every child who is looked after in Wales must have a Health Action Plan which is part of your overall Care and Support Plan. This sets out your individual health needs and how you or the people in your life will meet those needs. 

Do other people see my medical notes?

After a health assessment, a copy of the Health Action Plan is usually sent to your doctor, social worker and LAC nurse, so that all the people involved in your care are aware of your health needs and how to help you. In some circumstances, all or some of your health information is shared with your carer.  You may also have a copy if you wish. Your health will be discussed in your review meetings so if you are not happy with someone reading your Health Action Plan, you should tell someone before or at your review meeting. Discussing personal or embarrassing health issues is not allowed at reviews unless you specifically want to discuss them.

Can I attend medical appointments without an adult/parent/carer?

Yes. You have a right to confidential health care and advice if you are mature enough and your GP believes you have full understanding what is required.