Skip to main content

Where will I Live

Where you will live while you are looked after depends on your individual situation and what is happening in your life. Wherever it is possible you should live near your home in Rhondda Cynon Taf as long as it is safe to do so. You should be able to live with your brothers and sisters, and somewhere that lets you carry on with your education or training.

Foster Care

If you cannot live with a parent, family member or close friend, you may need to live with a foster family/carer. All foster carers are different and come from different backgrounds but they are all trained to look after children. All foster carers have been assessed and thorough checks are made to make sure that they will be able to care for you.

During your time in a foster placement, it is a foster carer’s job to look after you and keep you safe in a warm, clean house. You will be able to bring your own clothes, books, toys and other special things with you. Hopefully you will be happy in your foster placement but it sometimes takes a little bit of time to settle down and comfortable. This is perfectly normal!

You can talk about your foster placement at your LAC review or speak to your social worker.

Kinship Care

Kinship care means you live with a family member or a friend of your family if you cannot live with your mum and dad. Wherever possible, RCT Council will find out if there is anyone your family who can look after you before looking for a foster placement or residential placement. Some children in care live with extended family such as grandparents, aunties and uncles, or older brothers and sisters and they would take over the responsibility of looking after you.

Your social worker would still visit you regularly to make sure you are safe and well cared for.

Residential Home (Also called a Children’s Home)

Some children in care live in Residential Homes. This means that instead of living with a family, you live in a house with other looked after children and it is staffed 24 hours a day. Each home is slightly different but they all make sure that they make you feel safe and cared for.

Rhondda Cynon Taf has 3 different  residential homes in:

  • Beddau Community Home - Beddau Community Home is just outside Pontypirdd and provides long-term placements for up to 5 young people.
  • Bryndar Community Home - Bryndar Community Home is in Aberdare. This home provides long-term care for 5 young people.

There are some independently run Children's Homes within RCT depending on your needs you might be given a place at one of these homes or sometimes a home in another area. RCT must try and find you a placement as close to your home area as possible when it is safe to do so.

Short Breaks

  • Nantgwyn is a short break home in Cwmdare, Aberdare. It provides short breaks to children and young people aged between 6 and 18 years who a have a learning or physical disability.  Nantgwyn supports children and  families to have  a break and come for a fun sleep over , and they can help  children and young people  to access the  community and local  facilities, promote hobbies and encourage children to try new things .

  • Ashsquare  is an Action for Children home  in  Rhydfelin.  It provides short breaks for children aged 5-18 who have a  learning or physical disability.  It offers children/young people time away from their family to develop skills, friendship and gain new experiences whilst also supporting the family in their role as a primary carers.

Placement with Parents

Some children and young people live with their parents but are still looked after because they are on a Care Order. This is usually for a short time until the courts decided the order is no longer needed.

Secure accommodation

Some young people might be looked after in secure accomodation for their welfare and protection. Young people only move to secure accommodation when there is a very serious risk of harm to themselves or to other people. The social worker would always try to help the young person to deal with any problems before moving them into secure accommodation.

Youth Offender Institutions

Some young people are placed in Youth Offender Institutions if they are on remand. This includes; Youth Offender Institutions, Juvenile Units in prisons, Secure Training Centres and Secure Children’s Homes. Children are looked after when they are on remand from criminal court.