Skip to main content

Cost of Living Scheme FAQs

If you have any queries about the scheme, please check the following frequently asked questions.

I’ve received a letter from the Council with a unique key code but when I’ve tried to complete the online form the code isn’t working. What should I do?

Please check that all the letters in the code have been typed in exactly as printed on the letter. The key code will start with the letter C and will be 8 characters long. If this still doesn’t work, please complete the call back from. The link to this can be found in the error message on the application form.


The form does not recognise my child’s date of birth. What should I do?

Please make sure the date you are entering is the date of birth for your eldest child of compulsory school age, who is named in your letter.

You have 3 attempts to enter your eldest child’s date of birth.  If you incorrectly enter your eldest child’s date of birth on all 3 attempts, you will be directed to a call back request form. Please complete this as prompted and a member of staff will then contact you within 5 working days.

I live in RCT and have a child of compulsory school age but have not received a Cost of Living Scheme payment. What can I do?

The Council have issued automatic payments to some households where the required information is held by the Council and eligibility has been confirmed. Please check your bank account to confirm if a payment of £125.00 from the Council has been received. You should also have received an e-mail from the Council confirming the payment.

If you have made an application online and awaiting payment, this can take up to 28 days to be processed from receipt of application.

I’ve received a letter/email asking me to update my bank details for my payment to be made. How do I do this?

The letter/email sent to you will include a link to an online form. Please follow this to update your bank details for your application.

I have received a letter for a child who does not live at my address. What should I do?

If you have received a letter for a child that does not live at your address, please return to sender. Instructions are on the back of the original envelope.

I am unable to upload the documents you requested to support my application. Who can help me?

If you need assistance with uploading evidence and need to speak to someone face to face, below are the options available.

  1. Book on to a Digital Friday course at one of the participating libraries, for further information see
  2. Visit one of the libraries listed below, who will be able to give advice or book an appointment if further assistance needed. Please check opening times before attending
  • Treorchy
  • Mountain ash
  • Aberdare
  • Porth
  • Pontypridd

Am I entitled to this payment if I have no recourse to public funds?  

The type of support the Council is providing through the Cost of Living Family Payment Scheme is not one which would be classed as ‘public funds’ for immigration purposes.  The support provided via the scheme can therefore be legitimately claimed by, and paid to, those individuals who have no recourse to public funds as a result of their immigration status.