Skip to main content

About Council Tax

Council Tax is the form of local taxation on residents and owners of domestic dwellings who are designated as ‘liable persons’.

Council Tax contributes about 21% of Rhondda Cynon Taf council’s income and goes towards the council’s running expenses in providing services to the community.

The council gets the other 79% of its income from government grants, business rates, and other charges.

The council collects tax on behalf of the Police and Crime Commissioner for South Wales and a number of community councils.

Your bill will show how much is going to each of these organisations and how much is for the council.


Frequently asked questions

My bill says that I am in arrears for previous financial years, is this correct?

This was the case when the information for the bills was extracted from the Council Tax records on the 9th March 2024. If you have made payment of this amount since then, you can ignore the statement. If you have not paid the arrears, please contact us immediately to do so.

I have received letters telling me about my 2024/25 Council Tax Reduction. Do I have to do anything?

Yes, you should check them to ensure that the information used in your assessment is correct. If your circumstances have changed or the information is not correct, you must inform the benefits section immediately to minimise any overpayment or underpayment. There is a leaflet included with your council tax bill, which you can use to let us know of any changes to your circumstances.

I think I need some help towards my Council Tax or rent who, do I contact?

If you are on low or moderate wages or receive a benefit payment from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP), then you may be entitled to help towards your Council Tax bill and your rent.

If you are in rented accommodation and do not receive a payment towards your rent, please contact us to find out if we can help.