Skip to main content

Explosive and firework safety

The Explosives Regulations 2014 came into force on 1st October 2014.

These regulations mean that you need to be issued with a licence to store certain types of explosives including fireworks. View exemptions to this licence. 

Please Note: from 4th July 2017 it became illegal to sell any fireworks marked with the old BS7114 mark as they no longer conform to the Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regs 2015. Only fireworks that comply with the European Safety Standards carrying the CE mark can legally be supplied to consumers from 4th July 2017. 
Licences are issued by the local authority in whose area the explosives/fireworks are to be stored for up to a maximum quantity of 2000kg (net) providing certain separation distances can be met in relation to specified types of buildings, accommodation, roads, etc.

Licences are also issued by the police and the Health and Safety Executive depending on the quantity and nature of the explosives.

Apply for a licence to store explosives/fireworks
Please send to the address detailed below.

Please note: When applying for a licence to store explosives/fireworks there is a fee involved which is dependent on a number of factors.

There are also fees to vary a licence. For more information regarding this, please contact the Food and Health and Safety Team using the details below. If the variation simply involves an amendment of the name, address or site address that appears on the licence, the cost is £37

For further information please contact the Food and Health and Safety Team or view the Health and Safety Executive’s website.

Food and Health & Safety Team

Public Health and Protection,
Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council
Ty Elai
Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301