I have been told that my Travel Card is due to expire.  Do I need a new Travel Card?

There is no need to worry.  Your existing Travel Card is still valid and can be used until next year.

From June 2019, Concessionary Travel Cards have a fresh new look but still offer the same great benefits of free travel on all eligible local bus services throughout Wales.

Old style cards are still valid for travel and offer the same benefits.  Card holders will be asked to reapply for new style cards from this autumn.  We'll share more information on how to do this shortly.

Details on how to obtain your new Travel Card will be made available later this year.  Please look out for information on the Council's website, in the news and on the buses you travel on.

Until then, keep travelling as normal.

I have a disability.  Am I entitled to a Concessionary Travel Card?

Please refer to the guide on eligibility and the evidence you'll need to provide at Disabled - Apply for a Travel Card 

If you're still unsure whether you qualify for a Disabled Concessionary Travel Card, please contact the Integrated Transport Unit on 01443 425001 for further advice.

I'm disabled and I'm unable to travel alone; how do I apply for a Disabled with Companion Travel Card?

Please refer to the guide on eligibility and the evidence you'll need to provide at Disabled with Companion - Apply for a Travel Card

If you're still unsure whether you qualify for a Disabled plus Companion Concessionary Travel Card, please contact the Integrated Transport Unit on 01443 425001 for further advice.

How do I use my Concessionary Travel Card?

Using your card is simple.  When you travel on the bus, all you need to do is:

  • Show your card to the driver
  • Place your card on the ticket reader
  • Find a seat and enjoy your free journey

Please remember your card can only be used by you.  Allowing someone else to use it may lead to the card being cancelled and/or its renewal being refused.  Where a Disabled with Companion Concessionary Travel Card has been issued, the companion will only be allowed to travel for free when accompanying the cardholder for the whole of the bus journey.

Further information is available in the full terms and conditions of the scheme.

Please ensure that you keep your pass in a safe place where it cannot be bent, twisted, or damaged and in a separate compartment from other bank cards etc. 

If you keep your pass in a wallet or purse, you must allow the driver to see your photograph.

When can I use my Travel Card?

You can use your Travel Card at any time and on any day of the week.

Where can I use my Concessionary Travel Card?

Your Concessionary Travel Card is valid on all eligible local bus services that operate wholly in Wales, or on those commencing/terminating at points adjacent to Wales, provided that the cross-boundary journey doesn't involve a change of bus in England.  You can also use selected rail services operating in Wales, as defined at https://tfwrail.wales/ways-to-save/concessionary-travel

Further information is available in the full terms and conditions of the scheme.

Please be aware you can't use your card on coach services such as National Express, Megabus or City Sightseeing.  However, companies may offer discounts to Concessionary Travel Cardholders.

How do I find out about bus times?

Traveline Cymru provides times and route information about all bus, coach, rail, ferry and air services in Wales.  They offer an internet-based enquiry service which is available at www.traveline.cymru  You can also call them on 0800 464 00 00.

Can I use my Concessionary Travel Card on a train?

You can travel free on the following Transport for Wales rail services:

  • Wrexham - Hawarden Bridge
  • Machynlleth - Pwllheli (Cambrian Coastline) - October to March only
  • Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog (Conwy Valley Line)
  • Shrewsbury and Llanelli/Swansea (Heart of Wales Line) - October - March only

You'll need to show your Concessionary Travel Card to get a free ticket from the ticket office before you travel.  If there's no ticket office or if it's closed, you can get one from the conductor on the train.

You'll also get 1/3 off tickets to travel on the Cardiff and Valley network after 0930 Monday - Friday and any time at weekends and bank holidays. 

Why does my Concessionary Travel Card look different?

Councils have previously issued council branded Concessionary Travel Cards.

Your card has a fresh new look, but still offers all the same free travel rights and benefits on all eligible local bus services throughout Wales.  There's no difference between the benefits available on the new and old-style cards.

If any of your friends and family are wondering why they haven't received their card yet, please tell them not to worry; all current card holders will be asked to apply for a new-style card this autumn.  Valid old-style cards will continue to be accepted until 31 December 2019.

I haven't received my new Concessionary Travel Card in the post; what do I do?

You should allow 15 working days for your card to arrive by post.  If you haven't received it after this time, please contact us

The details on my Concessionary Travel Card are incorrect or have changed; what should I do?

It's important that we continue to hold accurate information about you, so if your details are incorrect or you change your address, name or any other details, please use the contact details on the back of your Travel Card to report the error or to amend your details as soon as possible.

How do I get a replacement Concessionary Travel Card?

Please contact us if your card is lost or stolen.  You may have to pay a fee for a replacement.

I've requested a replacement Concessionary Travel Card and have just found mine.  Can I stop the replacement being issued?

Unfortunately, no.  As soon as payment is taken, a new card is automatically ordered and the old card will be deactivated to prevent fraudulent use.  There are no refunds.  Please destroy your old card as it will no longer be valid.

I have an old-style pass; can I get a new one?

All current card holders will need to apply for a new-style card in the autumn.  Further information will be available nearer the time.

Are my personal details safe?

Keeping your personal data safe is very important to us.

Your information is held securely and used by your council, Welsh Government and Transport for Wales to administer the scheme and prevent fraud.  We'll only use your information for marketing purposes if you have given us permission.

Your card displays your name and the expiry dare and doesn't contain any other personal details.

We publish a privacy statement https://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Council/DataProtectionandFreedomofInformation/DataProtection/Yourinformationrights/Yourinformationrights.aspx setting out how we use your information.  TFW also processes your information in accordance with the Transport for Wales privacy statement.

What if my bus pass is no longer needed?

You should inform the Council's Integrated Transport Unit either by telephone on 01443 425001 or by email TransportationServices@rctcbc.gov.uk if;

  • You no longer wish to take advantage of the Concessionary Free Travel Scheme
  • Because of bereavement of a family member or close friend

Contact us

Telephone: 01443 425001

E-mail: Transportationservices@rctcbc.gov.uk


Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.