Based at the last remaining coal mine in the world-famous Rhondda Valleys, A Welsh Coal Mining Experience is a must for visitors to this part of South Wales.
Take the tour: All the tour guides here are ex-miners and tell incredible tales of mining life and the history of the Rhondda Valley. Coal from these mines even powered the Titanic.
Visitors are guided through the courtyard with its historic Chimney Stack which dominates the Rhondda Valley skyline.
From here, the tour takes you into the Trevor and Bertie Engine Houses where you will see the 150 year winding wheel operating and meet Mr Penhaligan – a Cornish Miner with stories to share! This is followed by a visit to the Lamp Room where you can grab a helmet and follow your tour guide underground.
At the end of the tour, jump on Dram, the virtual cinematic experience where you experience the thrills of a ride in a runaway coal dram.
Visitors can also visit the exhibition and peruse the gift shop or eat at Caffé Bracchi.
NEW!! A Welsh Coal Mining Experience is now home to the award winning Chocolate House AND Craft of Hearts craft centre.
Handmade chocolates are available to buy and you can also book a chocolate making workshop. Craft of Hearts run crafting workshops and sell a wide range of crafting supplies.
- Tours last approximately 1hour 30 minutes and can be tailored to accommodate groups and their preferences. Tours can be offered outside of core opening hours upon request and subject to availability.
- One FREE tour place for the Group Leader
- One FREE tour place for the Coach Driver
- Maximum of 23 people per tour (for groups of more than 23 additional tours will be added)
- Ample Free Coach Parking
- Drop off point directly outside Visitors Centre
- Onsite Cafe
- Onsite gift shop
- FREE tea or coffee and a hot meal for the Coach Driver (provided by a voucher redeemable at Caffe Bracchi)
- Please note however that due to the industrial nature of the underground experience it is not fully accessible to wheelchair users.
- Offers are available for group bookings, with enhanced discounts available based on numbers attending and time of year booking.
- Visitors Centre and Cafe can be opened outside of advertised opening hours with prior arrangement.
To book call 01443 682036.