How we use your personal information within the Community Meal Service
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
In this privacy notice we have summarised some of the key ways in which we use your personal information within the Community Meal Service. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council's corporate privacy notice
1. Who we are, what we do
The Council’s Community Meal Service supports adults to live in their own homes by providing a quality meal and ensuring clients have a daily contact with others. The service consists of:
- Kitchen staff – who prepare, cook and package the meals.
- Delivery staff – who deliver the meals to client’s houses
- Administrative Support Service – who work closely with the Service to provide administrative support and deal with client referrals. Referrals can come directly from the client, from client’s families, hospitals, RCT Community Services, or other health providers e.g. external home care providers.
View further details about the Community Meals Service
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
The types of information we hold and process will typically include:
- Information on the person being referred:
- Contact details, including name, address, key safe code and telephone number
- Next of kin contact details, including name and telephone number.
- Date of birth
- Payment type e.g. cash or statement
In certain circumstances, we will also collect and use more sensitive information about the client. These would include:
- Health information - such as allergy information and special dietary requirements to make sure we provide the most suitable meals.
- Information for the driver e.g. client takes time to answer the door due to a medical condition or plate the meal and place on a tray.
- Information for admin e.g. don’t cancel the meals unless instructed by the next of kin.
3. Where does the service get my information from?
We hold information on past and present clients who have been referred to the Service
The above information will be provided by:
- Client directly - during first telephone contact
- Next of kin – when they refer a client to the service or contact us to advise of a change to service – e.g. period of stay in hospital etc.
- Community Services – Adult Services Team
- Health Services - hospitals and home care companies
4. What we will do with your personal information?
We will use this personal information for the following:
- To provide the client with a meal that is to their choice and dietary requirements.
- To ensure the safeguarding and wellbeing of clients e.g. a cause for concern - during a meal delivery
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.
Our lawful basis for processing personal information to deliver community meals services is to exercise our functions as a public authority and in the public interest as set out in the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 i.e. to support people to live independently at home.
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
In circumstances of the wellbeing and safeguarding of clients the Service may be required to share information with the Ambulance, Police Service and Community Services colleagues.
7. How long will my information be kept?
We will keep your personal information for current year plus 1 year.
8. Your information, your rights
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone: 01443 744150
In writing: Catering Services, Ty Trevithick, Abercynon, Mountain Ash, CF45 4UQ