Skip to main content

Universal Credit Changes

The UK Government Universal Credit temporary uplift ends in September 2021.  After this date, the £20 per week/£86.67 per month uplift allowance will no longer be paid
It is important that you start thinking about how this reduction will affect you and your family.

There are a range of services across Rhondda Cynon Taf that can provide support to help you manage the change.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council along with partners such as Citizens Advice RCT and Social Landlords can support with benefit checks, personal budgeting, energy advice, food support and much more. 

Money and Benefits

Independent Benefits Calculator

If you are not sure if you qualify for any benefits you can use an independent benefits calculator to check. You can also use an independent benefits calculator if you already receive benefits to check you are receiving the support you’re entitled to.

Benefit Checker

There is a range of benefits, grants and allowances available that you may be entitled to. You can find more information on these at GOV.UK website or using an independent benefit calculator.

Discretionary Assistance Fund

The Discretionary Assistance Fund gives grants to people who live in Wales. It gives grants to people who need help to live independently in the community, or those who have experienced an emergency, disaster or crisis to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel.
Please note: Communities for Work + are a registered partner and can support your application 

Help with debt and budgeting

Dealing with money issues can sometimes be off-putting, but if you don't understand how things like credit or mortgages work, you could end up losing out financially or getting yourself deep in debt.


Council tax discounts, exemptions and reductions

If you are liable to pay Council Tax where you live, you could get Council Tax Reduction to help you pay for all or part of your Council Tax depending on your income and circumstances, such as low income, disability or single person discount.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are a top-up to benefit and are considered if a person needs extra help with their housing costs. Any payment awarded is made in addition to any Housing Benefit/Universal Credit that has been awarded.

Family and Children

Free School Meals

If you are claiming certain benefits you could save money by claiming free school meals for your child.

Childcare Offer for Wales

The Childcare Offer for Wales provides working parents of 3 and 4 year olds with up to 30 hours per week of combined Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) education and additional funded childcare for up to 48 weeks per year. The Offer will build on children’s existing FPN education entitlement during term time and provide up to 30 hours of funded childcare for nine weeks of the school holidays.

Healthy Start

If you’re pregnant or have a child under 4, and are receiving certain benefits, the Healthy Start scheme can help you buy basic foods like milk or fruit.

Family Benefit Checker

There is a range of benefits, grants and allowances for families and children available that you may be entitled to. You can find more information on these at GOV.UK website or using an independent benefit calculator.

Carers Allowance 

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who are giving regular and substantial care to disabled people. You could get £67.60 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.
Optional help text


Communities For Work +

Communities for Work Plus (CfW+) offers support to all residents in RCT who are looking to get into employment, training or volunteering. You can access 1-2-1 support, work clubs and other employment support.

Working Wales

Free advice and guidance to help to get you into a job, up-skill through courses and training, and to find support and funding opportunities.

Careers Wales

Support to help you get back into work if you have a disability or health condition. If you have a disability or a health condition you could get support to help you find, and keep a job.

Further Support

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council Resident Support

You can ask for support at any time if you find yourself in need. The Council provides support to residents with the support of Community Resilience Volunteers and community partners. Support could include emergency food parcels, wellbeing support, collecting prescriptions, money advice and more.

Citizens Advice Rhondda Cynon Taf

Provide free, confidential and impartial advice on a range of issues affecting people's lives, such as  law, debt, consumer, housing, benefits, immigration, employment and health.

Food Banks

Food banks are community organisations that can help if you can’t afford the food you need. You’ll usually need to get a referral to a food bank before you can use it.

Foodbanks in Rhondda Cynon Taf:

There are four Foodbanks in Rhondda Cynon Taf operated by The Trussell Trust. These foodbanks work using a referral system.

Find out how to access them by visiting their websites.