Please view the eligibility criteria before making your application below:
Free school meals are available to children whose parents or guardians are currently receiving one of the following benefits:
- Child Tax Credit – where total annual income is also less than £16,190
- Income Support (with responsibility for children)
- Income Based Job Seekers' Allowance (with responsibility for children)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of state Pension Credit
- Pupils who receive Income Support or income-based Job Seekers' Allowance in their own right are also eligible to receive free school meals
- Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) (ESA(IR)).
- Universal Credit (if working, annualised net earnings must be £7,400 or lower)
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Young people who receive Income Support or income-based Job Seekers' Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
Am I eligible if I'm claiming Working Tax Credits (with income less than £16,190)?
No, but if your circumstances change and you are no longer eligible for WTC, you must inform Her Majesties Revenue and Customs and free school meals may start depending on your individual circumstances.
Applying for free school meals
If you think you may be entitled to a free school meal for your child, please complete an online application below. A paper based version is available but it is much easier online as you don’t need to provide lots of evidence.
Apply for free school meals
Once you are entitled to a free school meal you could automatically qualify for a school clothing and equipment grant (PDG Access Grant) and/ or an allowance which is administered by secondary schools.
You must apply for a Free School Meal even if you receive a Universal Free School Meal for your child in Reception Year as this will affect your possible entitlement to a PDG Access Grant.
If eligible families don’t apply for a free school meal through the Council it will affect the amount of funding that individual schools receive from Welsh Government, which will mean the school has less money than it is entitled to in order to provide education and support to your children.
You can make your application for a PDG Access Grant online or request an application form directly from your school. Contact details for all our schools are available using our Find a School search facility.
Change of circumstances
If you are claiming free school meals and there is a change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement, please report the change to firstname.lastname@example.org.