Skip to main content

Education and Childcare

Schools admissions and childcare

Please allow time for children and young people to settle and recover on arrival and do not rush to apply for a school place. 

​​​You or your host family can apply for a place for your child at a school in Rhondda Cynon Taf. You will need to apply for a school place through the School Admissions process.

Your Wellbeing Assesser can help you with this too. Once your child/children are in school they will be able to automatically assit you further where needed, including any special education needs you may require.

Applying for a school place

Ukrainian parents can apply for a school place for their child as soon as they arrive. They will need to follow the normal process for applying for a school place.

Your sponsor should be able to tell you which school is nearest to where you will live but you can also ‘search for a school’ on this website.

The Refugee Education UK website​​​​​​​​​ provides advice and support to help young refugees access education.

School uniform grant

Parents can apply for a one-off grant to help pay for school uniform. The school or your Wellbeing Asseser will be able to assist you wth this if needed.

More information on the grant is available on the following pages.

Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7.  Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.

Free School Meals

Parents can apply for school meals where eligible.

More information is available on the following pages.


The Council’s Family Information Service (FIS) offers free information and signposting for ALL parents, carers and guardians on a wide range of issues, from exploring childcare optionsevents and activities and holiday playschemes.

More information on children and families can be found on these dedicated pages.

Adult Education 

You will be able to study ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) for free, in classes at the University of South Wales, Treforest Campus.

Address:  Llantwit Road, Pontypridd, CF37 1DL.

Coleg Y Cymoedd offer a variety of courses available for post 16 + to attend and again qualifications in subjects such as sport, computers, catering, beauty. Coleg y Cymoedd will also offer ESOL.

RCT Adult Education offer a range of courses to gain new skills, including computers and languages, to developing a hobby. They also offer a range of courses which are ideal for someone looking for something different; examples include Indian Cookery, Astronomy, Robotics and Beauty Tips.

For more information: 

Garth Olwg Lifelong Centre

St Illtyds Road

Church Village


CF38 1RQ


Tel 01443 570077