The Disabled Facilities Grant is available for a range of work that will help a disabled person to maintain their independence in their home.
The disabled individual will need to be assessed by an occupational therapist in order to establish what adaptations are necessary within the home. Work can include but is not limited to:
- Installation of a stairlift for easier access to bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms
- Installing a level access shower or specialist bath/toilet
- Improving or installing an appropriate heating system
- Widening doors and installing ramps
- Adapting heating and lighting controls for easier use
- An extension for extra care facilities
- External adaptations for safe access into the home
The maximum grant allowed for the work is £36,000 including all fees and ancillary costs.
You must be a:
- a tenant or owner of a property
- a landlord on behalf of a disabled tenant
You must produce a certificate of ownership or tenancy to apply for the grant.
Will I have to pay a contribution?
You may be asked to provide a contribution towards the grant if you require large adaptations, such as an extension, through floor lifts or significant structural modification. In this case, you will be means tested. Your contribution will be determined by the income and capital of:
- the disabled person
- the disabled persons spouse or partner
And it will take into account:
- a person's average weekly income
- any savings above a set amount
Some benefits, especially those that recognise a person's disability, will not be included.
If a grant award is over £5,000 you will be asked to sign an agreement that you will repay the grant if you sell the property within 5 years of the adaptations being completed.
However, if the adapted property is sold to a registered social landlord, the grant will not be reclaimed.
Please contact social services using the information below to request a visit from the occupational therapist.
You will then be contacted to complete an application form by a member of the housing team. Once the application has been submitted you will be notified within 6 months if your application has been accepted.