Work Experience - Make an application

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council’s work experience programme enables people to carry out and/or observe a range of tasks or duties as an employee, but with the emphasis on learning.

You will develop and learn new skills & experience in the world of work including:

  • Teamwork;
  • Information and Communication Technology, including use of computer systems, email and internet;
  • Attending team meetings;
  • Communication and customer care skills;
  • Networking;
  • Managing your time and workload responsibilities.

Anyone can apply for a work placement with the Council. RCT Council work with School, College and University students, as well as non-students, to support and source work placements.

RCT Council enforces the equality opportunity policy and welcomes work experience applications from all parts of the community.

RCT Council may reserve the right to withhold the opportunity of work experience in areas of work where a genuine occupational requirement would deem the placement inappropriate. We are unable to offer a guarantee of acceptance due to the high demand of requests that we receive.

Please note, we are unable to provide placements within Children’s or Adults Services due to confidential nature of the work.

What happens next?

We aim to respond to all requests within three weeks. In some instances, we may be unable to offer a placement, however we will endeavour to place as many applicants as possible.

Should you secure a work experience placement; a confirmation letter/email will be sent to you including information such as:

  • The full address and postcode of the placement;
  • Working hours;
  • Appropriate clothing/uniform to wear;
  • Where to report on your first day.


Am I paid whilst on work experience?

No. You are not paid as your placement is aimed at giving you experience of the world of work and allowing you to sample as wide a range of tasks as possible under the supervision of experienced staff.

How long will my placement last?

This is down to arrangement between you and the manager of the area you will be working in, but usually placements do not last longer than two weeks.

Will lunch be provided?

No. You will be expected to provide your own lunch. The facilities depend on where you work. Some work places have a canteen, a microwave or drinks machine. Some have shops nearby and others will require you to bring a packed lunch.

Am I insured while on placement with Rhondda Cynon Taf Council?

Yes. All candidates on placement are insured just as all other employees. However, you still have a responsibility for behaving in a safe and sensible manner.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council can arrange work experience as part of our public task to help you gain valuable employment skills. Your request will be dealt with by the Council’s Education, Employment and Training Team and may be shared with other Council departments to find you a suitable work placement. If you would like to learn more about how we use your information, please read the ‘Work Experience and Internship Privacy Notice’ and the Council’s data protection pages, or contact

Pages In This Section