Our Junior Learn to Swim programme runs continuously over 50 weeks of the year with a 2 week break for Christmas. Lessons offer swimming skills and confidence for children aged 4 and over. They also provide excellent opportunities for your child to progress to competitive swimming through clubs and other aquatic disciplines such as Diving, Water Polo, Lifeguarding, Canoeing, Sub Aqua and even Triathlon.
Junior Learn to Swim Terms and Conditions can be found here:
To sign up for our Junior Learn to Swim lessons please visit your local leisure centre at any time to complete the application form.
You will have the option to set up a direct debit or pay cash for 10 sessions.
View our SWIMMING LESSON FAQ'S
Tracking your progress
You can track your childs weekly progress using our portal service. Usernames and passwords will be given to you once you sign up for the programme.
Certificates and badges
Certificates and badges are available to purchase from the leisure centre for each completed level.
We have also started delivering Welsh Language Swimming lessons at Llantrisant Leisure Centre, and Ystrad Sports Centre in partnership with the Urdd.
These lessons will follow the Swim Wales Learn to Swim Framework (Waves) and will be managed in exactly the same way as our English speaking Junior Learn to Swim program.
Places are limited, therefore ff you are interested in booking a place please visit the centre ASAP.
At the centre you will be required to complete an enrolment form signing up to our terms and conditions and select your payment option (direct debit or cash).In the near future we will be looking to provide Welsh Language Swimming Lessons in the Cynon area of RCT, more information to follow.
The Wave program follows on from Splash and is the next step on the learn to swim pathway.
If there is no space in our lessons, you will be placed on a waiting list and contacted when a space becomes available. Certificates and badges are available to purchase from the leisure centre for each completed wave.
- Develop confidence in the water
- Be safe while in the water and when getting in and out of the pool
- Learn basic floating, sculling and breathing techniques
- Start to learn frontcrawl, backstroke and either breaststroke or butterfly, with aids if needed
- Be able to jump into the pool
- Improve sculling, floating and breathing techniques
- Glide in the streamlined position
- Swim short distances of frontcrawl, backstroke and either breaststroke or butterfly, without aids
- Collect an object from the pool floor
- Improve sculling and floating
- Learn how to tread water
- Learn the Safe Code
- Swim short distances of all four strokes: frontcrawl, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly, without aids
- Learn how to do dolphin kicks underwater
- Learn the HELP position
- Improve floating and treading water techniques
- Improve the technique of all four strokes
- Learn different shaped jumps
- Learn how to do a forward somersault and a handstand in the water
- Improve sculling and personal survival techniques
- Swim longer distances in all four strokes, including a length (25 metres) of your favourite stroke
- Learn how to warm-up properly for exercise and why
- Learn how to do a backward somersault, head first surface dive and sitting dive
- Improve personal survival techniques, including swimming with clothes on
- Swim longer distances in all four strokes, concentrating on technique
- Learn how to do a plunge dive
- Improve floating, sculling, treading water and rotation skills
- Swim longer distances in all four strokes and swim an Individual Medley
- Swim as part of a team in a relay race
- Swim 25 metres of breaststroke and butterfly
- Swim 50 metres of backstroke and frontcrawl
- Improve floating, sculling, treading water and surface dive skills that are used in other aquatic disciplines
On completion of wave 7 children will have the option to either move into a specific aquatic discipline by joining one of our swimming clubs or our rookie lifeguard program or continuing on to wave 8, where they will experience a taster of different aquatic disciplines such as Rookies, Water Polo, Diving and Artistic Swimming.
For more information about Splash and Waves, please visit Swim Wales website (Learn to Swim).