Skip to main content

Local drainage improvements at Tanycoed Terrace in Abercwmboi

Tanycoed Terrace, Aberaman

The Council will begin a local scheme to deliver important drainage improvements at Tanycoed Terrace in Abercwmboi, by upgrading existing infrastructure using funding secured from Welsh Government. 

Work will begin from Thursday, September 1, to upgrade an existing section of an ordinary watercourse culvert to reduce the risk of flooding during heavy rainfall. The scheme has benefitted from an 85% contribution secured from Welsh Government’s Small Scale Works Grant earmarked for flood alleviation work. The remaining 15% contribution has been met by the Council’s 2022/23 Capital Programme for Highways, Transportation and Strategic Projects.

Calibre Contracting will deliver the scheme as the Council’s appointed contractor. An eight-week road closure is required, and this will reduce the parking area available to residents. Notices have been placed on site to notify the community, while residents have also received letters outlining the works.

Councillor Andrew Morgan OBE, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Investment, said: “This work at Tanycoed Terrace in Abercwmboi represents the latest targeted scheme to help reduce the risk of flooding in County Borough communities. It will upgrade the existing ordinary watercourse culvert network to increase its capacity during storm events – as we welcome important Welsh Government funding to carry out the work.

“Improving resilience to flooding continues to be a priority, with £12m spent on infrastructure upgrades and £15m on storm repairs in recent years. More than £6.4m Welsh Government funding is secured for further Storm Dennis work in 2022/23, plus around £3.9m for flood alleviation across the Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management and Small Scale Works Grant programmes.

“Important schemes that got underway this summer include the Upper Bronallt Flood Alleviation Scheme in Abercwmboi during June, which was followed by the first phase of work in the Treorchy Flood Alleviation Scheme from July.

“The upcoming works at Tanycoed Terrace in Abercwmboi require a local road closure, which will cause some disruption to residents by reducing the areas for parking. The Council will work with its contractor to complete the scheme as efficiently as possible – thanks to the community for your cooperation.”

Posted on 26/08/2022