With the rising cost of fuel and the cost of living crisis at the forefront of many people’s minds, we would like to raise awareness of the advice and services available to Rhondda Cynon Taf residents through the Council’s Heat & Save Team.
Due to the impact of cost of living crisis, many more individuals and families are struggling to pay energy bills to keep their homes safe and warm at an affordable cost. National Energy Action estimates that around 23% of UK households are expected to be in fuel poverty, which has shown an increase of more than 50% in the last six months.
This increase is due to rising energy bills and the energy performance of homes, combined with the cost-of-living crisis leaving more households with less money for heating or food. Households may find themselves having to choose between ‘heating or eating’, and may therefore not be able to heat their homes to meet their needs. However, the dangers of under-heating a home can have a detrimental effect on people’s health and mental wellbeing.
The Council has a dedicated team that can help residents keep their homes warm through services and advice. These include:
- Grant or Loan Assistance - financial aid may be available to improve the energy efficiency of homes with (examples of works)
- RCT Switch - an impartial free tariff switching advice
- General energy efficiency advice to save energy at home
- Advice regarding utility debts (gas, electric and water)
- Advice regarding maximising income and money management
The team can also make referrals to the following:
- Energy suppliers for further financial support
- Citizens Advice (debt, welfare benefits and consumer advice services)
- Care & Repair Agency
- Welsh Government’s NEST scheme
- Foodbanks / Food Parcels
- Access to priority service registers
More information about support available can be found here
Posted on 23/12/2022