Skip to main content

Mental Health Assessment

The law says that any adult who appears to need local authority social care services is entitled to have an assessment of their needs.

You should access primary mental health services through your GP.  In cases where an individual has high levels of risk and particularly complex needs, they may be referred to one of the Care and Treatment Planning Teams for assessment, treatment or support.  There are three teams based in Rhondda, Cynon and Taff Ely and are made up of a mix of workers including psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, community psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists and support workers. Similarly, older people with mental health problems may receive support from our Older Person's Care and Treatment Teams.

An assessment from a psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health nurse, social worker or occupational therapist will show us if you need further treatment or support.  At this point, you may be offered medication, psychological therapies, occupational therapies or social support which can be provided in your own home, in the community or in day care settings.  Staff will work with you in a way that promotes your independence and enables you to get on with your life. 

Care and Treatment for your condition will follow the following process:

  • Assessment – where you have an opportunity to to talk to a health or social care professional about the difficulties you are experiencing and the outcomes you hope to achieve with support. 
    If you are a parent or carer providing regular and substantial care to someone with mental health issues, you are also entitled to an assessment of your needs in your own right.
  • Care coordinator – if it is decided that you need our support, the Care and Treatment Planning Team will assign a person to you who will be responsible for coordinating your care
  • Care planning – this is the stage where discussion between you and your care coordinator results in devising a care plan.  It will describe the services to be provided or arranged for you, how often and for how long you will receive them and the outcomes you want for yourself
  • Reviews – are the regular meetings where you can meet the people supporting you to make sure that things are going according to plan and, where necessary, changes can be made.  You don’t need to wait for your next scheduled review if your situation changes unexpectedly.  You should contact your care coordinator straight away
  • Discharge from the Care and Treatment Planning service – when you feel able to manage without the help of the Care and Treatment Planning Team, a review meeting will be held and, if appropriate, you will be discharged from the service 

Cwm Taf Local Health Board provides in-patient and out-patient hospital based assessment and treatment services at their Mental Health Units (MHU).   Most people who stay in hospital because of their mental ill health do so voluntarily and are free to leave at any time.  

In those rare cases when there is a need to safeguard an individual’s safety and well being, this may result in an admission to hospital without the person’s consent.  In these circumstances, you have a legal right to challenge the decision made by the staff involved.

If you are an in-patient in any hospital or other registered establishment, being treated for a mental health disorder, you will be entitled to access the service of an Independent Mental Health Advocate who will ensure that your voice is heard. 


Adult Care and Treatment Teams provide a mental health service for people under 65 years old.  

They are located in Rhondda, Cynon and Taf Ely.

Municipal Offices (Blue Building), Llewellyn Street, Pentre
Telephone: 01443 424350 

Ysbyty Cwm Cynon, Mountain Ash
Telephone: 01443 715100 

Ty Draw, The Avenue, The Common, Pontypridd
Telephone: 01443 486856

Our Locality Teams provide a mental health service for people over 65 years old.

Contact our First Response Team
Telephone: 01443 425003