Our aim is to deliver a quality, value for money service that contributes toward the well being of the community.
Our menus follow nutritional standard regulations in our schools, as set out in the guidelines from the Welsh Government in the The Healthy Eating in Schools (Nutritional Standards & Requirements) (Wales) Regulations 2013
Universal Primary Free School Meals
In September 2022, the rollout of Universal Primary Free School Meals (UPFSM) across Wales began, starting with learners in Reception. The policy is part of the Co-operation Agreement between the Welsh Government and Plaid Cymru, which will see free school meals extended to all primary school learners over the next two years.
Within Rhondda Cynon Taf, the Council will be rolling out the offer as follows: -
- from 5th September 2022, all Reception aged pupils have been offered a UPFSM.
- from January 2023, the offer will be extended to include Year 1 pupils.
- from January 2023, the offer will be extended to include Nursery pupils who are eligible.
- from April 2023, the offer will be extended to include Year 2 pupils.
- from September 2023, the offer will be extended to include Year 3 and 4 pupils.
- from April 2024, the offer will be extended to include Year 5 and 6 pupils.
Frequently Asked Questions – Universal Primary Free School Meals (UPFSM)
Frequently Asked Questions – Universal Primary Free School Meals (UPFSM) for Nursery Pupils
Free school meals entitlement
Access to good quality school meals can make a significant contribution to a child’s dietary intake and influence to children’s overall health and wellbeing. The provision of free school meals (FSM) for those who qualify helps to ensure that most children have at least one balanced, nutritious meal during the school day, irrespective of parental income.
The range of choices for all pupils, either paying or entitled to free school meals is the same. Each day the catering services in each school (primary and secondary) provide a range of choices of hot meals, salads, filled jacket potatoes and baguettes, even pack lunches can be provided.
If you think your child may be entitled to free school meals please view the free school meals page for more information.